I am a moderator at Server Fault, and I have come to seek your advice on whether certain classes of questions can be asked at, or migrated to, Webmasters.
In particular I am concerned with questions regarding web hosting control panels, which the SF community is opposed to having for a variety of reasons. The questions fall into a few general classes:
Questions from end users who have a shared web hosting account and need help configuring or managing it via the service provider's control panel. Sample questions in this class may involve (this is not exhaustive):
- Creating subdomains or databases through the control panel
- Uploading files or taking backups
- Diagnosing errors, where the error logs are provided via the control panel
Questions from users with a reseller or admin access to the control panel, who are hosting their own web sites or sites of their own personal clients. These are typically hosted on a VPS or dedicated server. Sample questions in this class may involve (again, not an exhaustive list):
- Reconfiguring Apache or PHP to add or remove functionality through the control panel's interface (e.g. EasyApache)
- Creating and managing cPanel/WHM user accounts for clients
- Configuring security and firewall settings via the control panel
To save you a bit of reading (and a long drama-filled tangent) the primary reason that the SF community does not want these questions is that these web hosting control panels turn ordinary servers into unique snowflakes which are difficult or impossible to support except within the web hosting industry and by the control panel vendors.
Since there seems to be a close intersection between the web hosting industry and Webmasters, I thought that you may want some or all of questions of this type, either asked originally or migrated here. Would some or all such questions be accepted here?