As many of you know, I like editing posts (proof) to try to standardize formatting on this site. It helps to keep this site clean and it improves quality of the posts.
Here are some suggested rules we can follow for formatting posts:
- Use a capital letter at the beginning of the title, but not for each word in the title
code formattingfor code elements, URLs and email addresses and only
- Apply italic style for file paths or file names and only italic style (.htaccess for example)
- Use blockquote formatting for quotations
- Apply capital letters for each word in a product name ("Google AdWords" and "Google Webmaster Tools", not "google adwords" or "Google webmaster tools"); if you don't know the right way of writing, please search on Google
- Apply capital letters to proper nouns such as "English"
- Use quotation marks around example words such as "another example"
- Apply formatting rules of English (one space after a period, comma, semi-colon, or question mark, but none before)
- Use numbered list for list of defined number of elements
- Use bulleted list for list of undefined number of elements
- Use punctuation consistently in a list (for example all list elements with no punctuation at the end except for questions)
Please feel free to add or update some rules and share your opinion on those suggestions.