I propose that we update the text of https://webmasters.stackexchange.com/help/on-topic to this:
Pro Webmasters Stack Exchange is for professional and enthusiast webmasters focused on questions about how to operate websites. Questions here are commonly about search engine optimization (SEO), domains, and web-hosting.
There are some types of questions about running websites that we don't accept:
- System and network administration -- Server Fault participants are much more likely to know the technical details on topics such as DNS and Apache configuration than people who answer questions here.
- Web sites out of your control -- If the question is about another site (such as Gmail or Facebook) and not about your own website, it is off-topic here. Web Applications would be a better place to ask.
- Usage of web browsers and other software -- Super User is available for questions about how to use software in ways that is not directly related to running your own website.
- Content management systems (CMSs) -- There are specific Stack Exchange sites for several CMSs. Use those sites for WordPress, Drupal, Magento, Tridion, or Salesforce. Questions about other CMSs may be asked here on Pro Webmasters.
- Recommendations for sites and resources -- Questions that ask for recommendation of an external website or resource attract lots of self promotion and spam answers. In addition, answers to such questions quickly become out of date. Such questions are closed as off-topic.
- Specific to only your site - If the answers to your question could only apply to your site, we won't accept your question. For example, we would close questions such as "What am I doing wrong here?" or "Please review my site."
- Topics with a "catch all" question and answer -- Many topics are covered by a question with a comprehensive answer. Other questions about the topic are marked as duplicate. Some examples from the list of catch-all questions are:
For more help, see What types of questions should I avoid asking?
Please look around to see if your question has been asked before. It's also OK to ask and answer your own question.
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Pro Webmasters Stack Exchange, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.